Robert N. Berg
B.S., Butler University, cum laude, with highest honors, 1974.
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, cum laude, 1977.
ABA Forum Committee on Health Law; American Health Lawyers Association; Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys; State Bar of Georgia, Health Law Section.
Bob joined Ellis Funk as a shareholder in August 2013, after 14 years as a member of Epstein Becker Green. Bob provides health care and general business advice to a wide variety of physician practices, including all sizes of single-specialty groups, multi-specialty clinics, and hospital-based physician groups, throughout the United States. In addition Bob advises and counsels other businesses that furnish or finance the provision of health care goods and services and companies that operate non-health care-related businesses.
Among other areas, Bob:
- Assists physician groups in selling or acquiring medical practices
- Structures and organizes joint ventures with hospitals and among physician groups, including lPAs and ACOs, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic imaging facilities, and medical office buildings, as well as numerous other types of health care transactions
- Provides analysis and guidance on compliance with federal and state fraud and abuse statutes and regulations.
- Drafts, analyzes, and negotiates leases, employment and shareholders agreements, various types of physician/hospital contracts and payor agreements
- Counsels physicians on covenants not to compete, non-solicitation, confidentiality and non-disclosure, and other restrictive covenants
- Assists physician practices in contracting with new physician employees and structuring/documenting arrangements with new physician shareholders
- Represents physicians before the Composite State Board of Medical Examiners, in medical staff credentialing matters and in appeals of managed care credentialing determinations
Bob has been recognized by Chambers USA among the “Leaders in Their Field” (2009 to 2017) and has been selected for inclusion in Georgia Super Lawyers (2006 to 2009, 2011 to 2017). He has also been named in Georgia’s Top Rated Lawyers (2012 – 2016) and the Georgia Trend “Legal Elite” (2011 and 2012). In 2005, Nightingale’s Healthcare News cited Bob as one of ten “Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyers.”
“[Bob] advises physician organizations on matters ranging from the acquisition of medical practices to the negotiation and drafting of leases and agreements. Sources credit his pragmatic negotiation style as a key attribute.”
Chambers USA 2016